logo


History of mills at Beeleigh

DateEvent
6th CWater Mill at Beeleigh owned by a local thane called Siward.
1085/86Domesday Survey reports ownership passed to the Lordship of Ranulf Peverel.
1180Beeleigh Abbey is founded by the Premonstratensian Order.
1189Beeleigh Abbey takes possession of the Mill.
1536‘Suppression’ and ‘Dissolution’: Beeleigh Mill owned by Sir John Gate.
1553Sir John transferred the Mill to William March.
1559William Marsh’s son, Will Marsh, sold it to John Wiseman of Felsted.
1573Beeleigh Mill leased to Thomas White of All Saints, Maldon and to the Baswickes.
1594In Thomas Brett’s will: the Mill is bequeathed to his son John Brett.
1618Purchased by Sir Henry Mildmay.
1700 ishThe Strutt family take possession. (They also owned or leased mills at Moulsham, Springfield, Hoe Mill and Wickham Bishops).
1706 to 1747John Strutt was the Miller. His nephew, also John Strutt, and John Crosier Snr. worked as apprentices to the Miller.
1753Nephew John Strutt bought the Mill from his Uncle.
1774 to 1790Nephew John Strutt was MP for Maldon.
1777John Crozier Snr. purchased the Mill from John Strutt MP.
1793The Navigation Company purchased the Mill for £7,150 (to ease legal difficulties caused by the construction of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation).
1795Beeleigh Mill sold (at a loss) to John Dunkin of Southwark.
1797John Dunkin and his partner Mr. Stammers (of nearby Stammers Farm) rebuilt the Mill (which partially remains today).
1822The Mill is owned by Mr. Kingsford.
1834Mill sold to Joseph Ward of Merton Hills for £4,520.
1837Beeleigh Mill’s Wentworth Beam Engine was manufactured and installed at an unknown location.
1840In-line gearing installed on the south wheel drive; (John Ward advertised sale of a complete set of conventional gearing).
1845Joseph Ward added the Steam Mill.
1845Joseph Ward built Beeleigh Falls House.
187512th March – the F I R E .
The mill was abandoned after the fire, as rebuilding was considered uneconomical.
1939 (?)Christopher Cail bought the Mill and freehold land for £2,820.
1960The site passed into the hands of Essex Water Company (who re-roofed the Steam Mill).
1970Headrace filled in.
1971John Booker carried out a survey.
1992Sir Fred Dibnah visited with the BBC (for broadcast in 1996).
1994Essex County Council aquired the lease.
1994Maldon Archaeology Group undertook an excavation of the surface.
2007ECC’s Field Archaeology unit evaluated the Auxiliary’s hideout.
200915th Oct.: Beeleigh Mill Restoration Group formed.